Cafe Les Negociants: "French style pavement cafe" Top 5 Page for this destination Cafés Tip by suvanki

Cafés, Marrakesh: 38 reviews and 82 photos

Cafe Les Negociants, Gueliz
by suvanki

Gueliz is in Ville Nouvelle, the French Quarter.
There are many pavement cafes, ice cream parlours, patisseries.

I quite liked this cafe, to sit in the comfy wicker seats,and watch the world go by, as I planned my day.

The clientele was a mix of tourists, holidaying Moroccans, and locals in traditional dress or westernised attire.

Open 0600 - 23.30hrs daily.

On my 2nd visit to M'kesh, I used this cafe quite a bit as my hotel was nearby. It was still very popular. This time though I was amused to find one of the surliest waiters ever- he looked a bit like Rene from the old TV comedy Allo Allo, in fact it was like watching a comedy as he huffed and puffed, tutted and clicked his tongue at every inconvenience, trying to avoid catching anyones eye who might want to order and sitting down in a chair at every opportunity while the other waiters ran around. (He was like this with everyone, locals included)
I'd spotted a few tables with clear green drinks, but didn't know what it was. I'd asked "Rene" for a menu - his eyes nearly shot out of his head as he shrieked"menu???" at me, before shuffling off to find one, shaking his head and tutting.

I couldn't find anything that might have been the green drink, so I ordered a cafe glace (11dh), to his disdain. Looking in my purse, I only had a 100dh note, which nearly reduced me to a fit of giggles imagining his response.

I'm afraid I waited to make sure that he had to come over to take my money, rather than call one of the others. (people at neighbouring tables had also apparently noticed his dismeanour) It was worth it for the charade of his reaction, when he eventually returned and slammed down my change, he turned on his heel (the quickest I'd seen him move) and fled to slump in a chair. I didn't even get a chance to hand him his tip!(I left a larger tip than normal on the table, for this memorable encounter)

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed a mint tea, fresh orange juice and a Latte on my visits.

This is an ideal spot for people watching, it's on the corner of Ave Mohammed V, so plenty going on around.

There are hawkers passing through with DVDs, tissues, sunglasses, shirts, rugs etc, but they're approaching the locals as well, not just tourists, so just shake your head and smile, or say Non Merci if You don't want to buy.

I visited at various times of the day and late evening.

Somewhere to sit and linger, not ideal if You're in a hurry.

Address: 110 Ave Mohammed V, Gueliz, Marrakesh
Comparison: about average
Directions: Gueliz Area, junction of Ave Mohammed V and Blvd Mohammed Zerktouni
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Coffeehouse

• Updated Apr 25, 2009

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Marrakesh?