Local Cuisine: "Mint Tea -the a la menthe/ Moroccan Whisky!" Top 5 Page for this destination Local Cuisine Tip by suvanki

Local Cuisine, Marrakesh: 78 reviews and 111 photos

Mint Tea
by suvanki

Mint tea is ubiquitous in Morocco!
Whether served in a glass, or from a silver pot, this refreshing drink has to be tried at least once. Mint tea is often offered by shopkeepers during the haggling process.

Chinese green tea, fresh spearmint (nanaa) leaves and sugar are infused in boiling water.
Berber pharmacies sell bags of dried mint and green tea to try at home.

I like my tea black and sweet, but some find it too sweet - just request your tea to be served shwiya sukkar for a less sweetened version.

The tea will often be poured from a height by your waiter to ensure a frothy top! Often the first poured glass is returned to the pot to 'improve' the brew.

Although not traditionally drank with meals, it is considered a digestive.

I had no problems with my stomach during my week, which might have been thanks to the copious amounts of mint tea I drank!

Favorite Dish: I got quite addicted to Mint tea, while in Marrakesh! I'll be growing lots of mint in my garden this year so I can enjoy this refreshing drink. Although I drank it hot in Marrakesh, I think I'll be making iced versions for summer.

Prices varied, Apart from many free glasses I was offered, I think the cheapest I paid was 7dh, the most expensive was 40dh at La Mamounia!

Address: All over Morocco
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Updated Jan 23, 2009

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Marrakesh?