"Between the South and the North!" Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Arlington Things to Do: 160 reviews and 313 photos
This road, on my picture, is called Memorial Drive and goes from the South (Arlington) to the Memorial Bridge over the Potomac River and to the North (Washington, DC). This symbolic line connecting two parts of the USA who were fighting in 1860 - 1865 (the Civil War or the War Between the States) was designed in 1932. It starts at the Lincoln Memorial (Washington, DC - on my picture) and ends at an impressive semicircular Gateway (the Hemicircle). Futher south on this line there is Robert E. Lee Memorial at Arlington House. on the top of the hill of the Arlington National Cemetery.
If you know who was Lincoln for the North and who was Robert E. Lee for the South, you understand what I mean. Currently Arlington only formally belongs to the South (Virginia), in real its southern 19th century traditions vanished, the population is multicultural, multiracial and culturally belongs to the North.
Address: Memorial Drive, Arlington, Virginia 22211
Directions: By metro to Arlington Cemetery station or by car (details in my Transportation Tips).
More Things to Do in Arlington (45)
More Reviews (141)
- See All General information
- See All General information (2/2)
- See All No jogging, limited riding a bicycle
- See All Books exclusively on women
- See All Not for kids!
- See All What a meeting!
- See All Flags and the American law (2/2)
- See All Visitors with disabilities
- See All The black squirrel
- See All For night photography
- See All What an unexpected meetting!
- See All Fitness club and fun
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Arlington?Share Your Travels