"Beach Life: Lido di Ostia" Outside Rome Tip by melissa_bel

Outside Rome, Rome: 133 reviews and 186 photos

Yes, when you look at the map, the sea is not far away from Rome! Even if, sometimes, if feels a world away in this busstling town. But catching some rays is just a a matter of will because the frolicking in the sea is easy to get to.
Ostia is the obvious choice and has always been the sea-side extension of Rome since Antiquity (Ostia Antica page coming soon). Take the Metro Line B to the Piramide, San Paolo or Eur Magliana stations and follow the directions for the train to Lido di Ostia. I recommend taking the train at Piramide as it is the start of the line. The train can get very crowded. The train there is also quite an experience. I don't think there's been a week-end where I would not find myself in a wagon with a bunch of teenagers and their boombox blasting music (usually bad techno)... It's part of the package I guess. Cheap fare too! I used to go there every week-end because it's so easy BUT it's definitely not the prettiest!
Just pick a stop between Lida and C. Colombo (I used to stop at Stella Polare, approximately in the middle).
If you don't feel like going or if it's not open, Ostia will be fine. Now, be warned... most of the beach in Ostia is "privatized" that means beach clubs have a concession from the city so they take care of their part of the beach but people have to pay - not too expensive though- to get in, of course, loungers and umbrellas are extra. I went there for the first time in late April and it was free but in May, you had to pay.
The advantage? You have facilities, bars, toilets...
There is only ONE little slice of public beach in Ostia and it's of course the ugliest. The beach in Ostia is already not THAT spectacular.

othercontact: Check http://www.metrebus.it
Website: http://www.ostiaonline.it/stabilimenti.htm

• Updated Feb 13, 2005

“I came, I saw and I can't stop going.”

Have you been to Rome?