"The Dyers Souk" Top 5 Page for this destination Dyers District Tip by suvanki

Dyers District, Marrakesh: 6 reviews and 14 photos

Me as a Toureg!!
by suvanki

After wandering around the various alleyways, I finally found the Dyers souk (with a bit of help from a local boy, yes he expected a tip, but he was quite helpful, and was satisfied with the few dh I gave him)

I was shown into a yard, where some hanks of wool were drying in the sun on the floor, and there were tubs of dyes. I had to be careful to avoid treading on some tiny kittens that were walking around!

A man came over and showed me the tubs, before leading me into a room, where one of the dyers showed me jars of brightly coloured natural dyes. He kept asking me what colour I thought the dye was, I thought he was trying to learn the english words for the colours, but when he mixed some of them with water, they changed colour completely!

He had some attractive hand dyed silk scarves for sale, but I explained that I wasn't buying. He was ok about this, and then proceeded to wrap a length of material around my head, before handing me a mirror and pronouncing me a Toureg!

This was a nice travel memory - just sharing some time with one of the local artisans, having a chat and a laugh, and not feeling pressurised to buy anything.

Address: The Dyers Souk, Marrakesh.
Directions: Hmmm, difficult to give precise directions. From Djemma El Fnaa, head up Rue Souq Smarine in the direction of Ben Yusseff. At the leather / babouche souk head west.

• Updated Mar 22, 2009

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Marrakesh?