"MEMORIES OF THE BORDER RANGES NATIONAL PARK" Australia Off The Beaten Path Tip by Amelei

Australia Off The Beaten Path: 376 reviews and 475 photos

Border Ranges National Park
by Amelei

It is early morning, Emrynn and i are at Tuntable asleep It is the middle of winter and the pot belly stove has been burning all night. I wake in the early hours listening watching as the night- time departs making way for the hours of daylight.

Emrynn and i are up and pottering about and there is a knock at the door by Leon, our neighbour. He comes in has has tea with us...

' Hey what are you doing tonight? I was going to take the motorbikes up to The Border Ranges National Park to camp the night. Have you ever been? It's really quite spectacular!'

We pack the bikes and by 4pm we are up perched high on the mountain terrain overlooking themost extraordinary views i have seen. Leon takes us over to the lookout and points towards Wollumbin and says ' See that there? That's what they call rain cloud.'

The rain is pelting down, coming in sideways, the mighty wind picks up and we cant even hear ourselves. Where we set up our tents becomes the 'rivers' causeway.

We move the tents and jump inside together. Leon brings out the red wine! We sit there drenched drinking copious amounts of wine .I am really drunk at this stage so lay down and listen to the rain falling rapidlty on the tent.

The following morning, after an uncomfortable nights sleep, we try and start the bikes and yes the rain is still torrential. The downpour is unbelievable! Our Bike starts first go but Leons is in trouble. We decide to roll start it down this HUGE hill and it doesnt go.

Emm rides back to Tuntable to get the 4WD and come and do a rescue mission. Leon and i are huddled together freezing cold. We decide ' stuff it we're going to drink the rest of the wine'. We had 2 bottles each and i was leggless as i dont drink.

What seemed like an eternity, Emm comes back to pick us up. I cant walk. He carries me into the car and i pass out on Leons shoulder. When we make it back to Tuntable, i am so embaressed. I have fallen asleep and dribbled all over Leon!! Oh god! I soon passed out in bed and swore never to drink again! i was so sick!

• Written Feb 7, 2005

Comments

Amelei Lives Here!

Amelei

“I would rather regret the things i did do, than regret not doing them at all....”

Have you been to Australia?