"Marnikarnika Ghat. Varanasi" Top 5 Page for this destination India Things to Do Tip by Hmmmm
India Things to Do: 1,031 reviews and 1,690 photos
Along the the Ganges at Varanasi, are a string of Ghats, they are great to walk along and ultimately photographic. Everything happens on them; people are doing myriad things, people are bathing, exercising, pandas are performing pujas, boats are coming and going carrying people. One Ghat in Particular is unique. On this Ghat people are being cremated and their remains are then put into the Ganga.
Manikarnika Ghat, one of the oldest and most sacred in Varanasi. Manikarnika is the main burning ghat and one of the most auspicious places that a Hindu can be cremated. Bodies are handled by outcasts known as doms, and they are carried through the alleyways of the old city to the holy Ganges on a bamboo stretcher swathed in cloth. The corpse is doused in the Ganges prior to cremation. You?ll see huge piles of firewood stacked along the top of the ghat, each log carefully weighed on giant scales so that the price of cremation can be calculated. There are no problems watching cremations, since at Manikarnika death is simply business as usual, but don?t take photos and keep your camera well hidden.
Directions: Marnikarnika Ghat is east of Dasawamedh Ghat, you can't miss it. In Fact the walk is outstanding.
More Reviews (63)
- See All Sweepers, Dalits aka The Untouchables
- See All Don't swim in the Ganges Like the Bufala...
- See All Nice and Central.
- See All The Thar Desert, In Kuldhara, Rajasthan.
- See All Poverty: A Constant Reality
- See All The Palace of Winds (Hawa Mahal) Up...
- See All Getting Sleep in Varanasi is Difficult.
- See All Not as quick as India Rail thats for...
- See All Do you feel like a Bhang Lassi? A Bhang...
- Play Cricket in the street with the Kids
- See All Shopping in Jaipur, Rajasthan
- Geographical Savoir Faire is a must for...
Hmmmm's Related Pages
Have you been to India?Share Your Travels