"The River Ganges" Top 5 Page for this destination India Things to Do Tip by Hmmmm
India Things to Do: 1,031 reviews and 1,690 photos
The name of the Ganges is known all throughout the land of India. This river that runs for 1,560 miles from the Himalayas all the way to the Bay of Bengal is more than just flowing water. This river is life, purity, and a goddess to the people of India. The river is Ganga Ma, "Mother Ganges." Her name and her story is known all throughout the land. It is the story of how she poured herself down from heaven upon the ashes of King Sarga's sons. Her waters would raise them up again to dwell in peace in heaven. Not only that, but anyone who touches these purifying waters even today are said to be cleansed of all sins.
The Ganges is a place of death and life. Hindus from all over will bring their dead. Whether a body or just ashes, the waters of the Ganga are needed to reach Pitriloka, the World of the Ancestors. Just as in the myth with King Sargas' 60,000 sons who attained heaven by Ganga pouring down her water upon their ashes, so the same waters of Ganga are needed for the dead in the Hindu belief today. Without this, the dead will exist only in a limbo of suffering, and would be troublesome spirits to those still living on earth. The waters of the Ganges are called amrita, the "nectar of immoratality".
Directions: Varanasi - Benares - Kaasi is considered to be the holiest of all pilgrimage sites in India.
Where is it? Why it runs from the Himalaya to Bangladesh.
More Reviews (63)
- See All Sweepers, Dalits aka The Untouchables
- See All Don't swim in the Ganges Like the Bufala...
- See All Nice and Central.
- See All The Thar Desert, In Kuldhara, Rajasthan.
- See All Poverty: A Constant Reality
- See All The Palace of Winds (Hawa Mahal) Up...
- See All Getting Sleep in Varanasi is Difficult.
- See All Not as quick as India Rail thats for...
- See All Do you feel like a Bhang Lassi? A Bhang...
- Play Cricket in the street with the Kids
- See All Shopping in Jaipur, Rajasthan
- Geographical Savoir Faire is a must for...
Hmmmm's Related Pages
Have you been to India?Share Your Travels