"Hawa Mahal (Palace of Winds) - Jaipur" Top 5 Page for this destination India Things to Do Tip by Hmmmm
India Things to Do: 1,030 reviews and 1,689 photos
I went all the way to Jaipur Just to see the Hawa Mahal. Partly because of its name - The Palace of Winds, and partly because its a sight to behold. You can see that the Hawa mahal has a a little in common with the Panch Mahal in Agra - but in my opinion, is in a league of its own.
Built in 1799, the Hawa Mahal, or Palace of the Winds, is one of the major landmarks of Jaipur. This five storey building, which looks out over the main street of the old city, is a stunning example of Rajput artistry, with its pink semioctagonal and delicately honeycombed sandstone windows. It was originally built to enable ladies of the royal household, to watch the everyday life and processions of the city. When you are up there looking down, you really can't help but feel sorry for the Royal Ladies. Being housed with the confines of such a beautiful cultural prison.
The palace was built by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh, and is part of the City Palace complex. There is, also, a small archaeological museum on the same site. Amber Fort is a stunning piece of Rajput architecture. Nahargarh Fort is 6.5 km away, and is floodlit at night. Jaigarh Fort, built in 1726, is within walking distance of Amber.
Address: Within the gates of Jaipur.
Directions: Off Siredeori Bazaar, with the Jaipur walls. . Entrance is dodgy - you have to go down an alleyway between a camera store and a puppet shop, through a kinda garden ( you are not lost ) then turn left into the car park.
More Reviews (63)
- See All Sweepers, Dalits aka The Untouchables
- See All Don't swim in the Ganges Like the Bufala...
- See All Nice and Central.
- See All The Thar Desert, In Kuldhara, Rajasthan.
- See All Poverty: A Constant Reality
- See All The Palace of Winds (Hawa Mahal) Up...
- See All Getting Sleep in Varanasi is Difficult.
- See All Not as quick as India Rail thats for...
- See All Do you feel like a Bhang Lassi? A Bhang...
- Play Cricket in the street with the Kids
- See All Shopping in Jaipur, Rajasthan
- Geographical Savoir Faire is a must for...
Hmmmm's Related Pages
Have you been to India?Share Your Travels