"Shopping in Jaipur, Rajasthan" Top 5 Page for this destination India Shopping Tip by Hmmmm
India Shopping: 75 reviews and 69 photos
Jaipur is a shopper's paradise. This is one of the few places where the shoppers may actually watch the skilled artisans producing the articles they want to buy.
The main markets are along Jauhari Bazaar, Badi Chaupar and M.I. Road. Shops specializing in precious and semi-precious stones are to be found on and along Jauhari Bazaar, but in order to see the celebrated minakars, kunda workers, gem-cutters and ornament makers at work, it is necessary to visit their workshops at Jadiyon-ka-Rasta, Gopalji-ka-Rasta, Haldiyon-ka-rasta and the adjoining lanes.
For bandhej (tie and dye), and block printed textiles, the best shops are along Jauhari Bazaar and Badi Chaupar. The larger establishments are at Sanganer where dozens of workshops produce the famous block printed textiles.
The narrow Khajanewalon-ka-Rasta off Chandpole Bazaar is the main center of stone carving. Shops dealing in marble statuary are to be found here. Maniharon-ka-Rasta in the Tripolia Bazaar area specializes in lac bangles and Ramganj Bazaar, in traditional chappals and jutis (leather footwear). The Hawa Mahal area is thick with shops dealing with antiques and pseudo-antiques. Some shops opposite Hawa Mahal stock the famous Jaipur quilts weighing only a few hundred grams!
Blue potteries, durries, carpets, brassware and other items of handicrafts are best displayed at the Rajasthali emporium in M.I. Road.
The visitor with a sweet tooth can indulge in traditional sweet-meats available in shops that can be found everywhere. The LMB Hotel is one of the most famous dealers of traditional sweets and savouries.
Address: Old Jaipur, Within the City Walls
Directions: The main markets are along Jauhari Bazaar, Badi Chaupar and M.I. Road. Which is within the old city.
Theme: Local Craft
More Shopping in India (1)
More Reviews (79)
- See All Manikarnika Ghat (Bis.)
- See All Sweepers, Dalits aka The Untouchables
- See All Don't swim in the Ganges Like the Bufala...
- See All Nice and Central.
- See All The Thar Desert, In Kuldhara, Rajasthan.
- See All Poverty: A Constant Reality
- See All The Palace of Winds (Hawa Mahal) Up...
- See All Getting Sleep in Varanasi is Difficult.
- See All Not as quick as India Rail thats for...
- See All Do you feel like a Bhang Lassi? A Bhang...
- Play Cricket in the street with the Kids
- Geographical Savoir Faire is a must for...
Hmmmm's Related Pages
Explore the World
Have you been to India?Share Your Travels
Top India hotels
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Mumbai Hotels
- 1981 Reviews - 3914 Photos
- Munnar Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 336 Photos
- Bangalore Hotels
- 619 Reviews - 966 Photos
- Manali Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 191 Photos
- Hyderabad Hotels
- 354 Reviews - 564 Photos
- Kodaikanal Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 231 Photos
- Jaipur Hotels
- 1045 Reviews - 3122 Photos
- Udaipur Hotels
- 466 Reviews - 1488 Photos
- Pondicherry Hotels
- 178 Reviews - 412 Photos
- Agra Hotels
- 1089 Reviews - 3552 Photos
- Chennai (Madras) Hotels
- 438 Reviews - 870 Photos
- Gangtok Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 402 Photos
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
- 645 Reviews - 2197 Photos
- Srinagar Hotels
- 138 Reviews - 575 Photos