"A tour may be the best way to do WA" State of Western Australia Favorite Tip by kooka3

State of Western Australia General: 43 reviews and 90 photos

Favorite thing: I took an 18 day "Connections Adventures" tour from Perth, WA through Broome, and ending in Darwin, NT. I think it was the best decision I made in order to get the most out of my time there. I know that tours take away some "freedom" to explore on your own, but I found that the people gave us plenty of time to hike, explore, etc -- with the added bonus of being with people who know what they're doing, know the terrain, and have all sorts of info about the history, the locales, etc. Since WA is SO BIG and diverse, taking a tour is, in my opinion, the best way to see a lot of stuff.

Connections is meant for 18-35 year olds, but I think everyone on the trip I was on were between 21-30. (Obviously this doesn't mean that they are all like this!). These people were all interested in travel, seeing new places, and getting the most out of their time. Check them out: www.connectionsadventures.com -- they have shorter tours in WA and the Top End as well as along the east coast and in Tasmania.

Fondest memory: I loved the open spaces, and the variety of activies and locales we visited - the ocean and inland; in towns and miles from nowhere; national parks, and miles of flat red roads. Everything was spectacular.

Campfires were great - there were 16 of us from all over the world, and we spent a fantastic 18 days getting to know each other. I'm stlil in contact with some of the people, and even met up with one of the guides when she was in Montreal a few years ago.

• Updated Feb 11, 2005

“Above all nations comes humanity.”

Have you been to State of Western Australia?