VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Take one free!" Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington Local Custom Tip by matcrazy1

Arlington Local Customs: 29 reviews and 30 photos

TAKE ONE FREE!
by matcrazy1

These three white boxes, on my piture, are put by the entrance/exit to Crystal City metro station. They contained free advertising leaflets or rather thin books, with real estates and cars offers. It was too late for me, I already hired a car for 30 days and spent a lot. But Urszula had to be interested in a house purchase in lovely neighbourhoods of Arlington as she took one book.

RANDOM THOUGHTS
Well, such boxes are not unique to Arlington, I am sure, but despite my 38 days spent in the USA a year before, I noticed them for the first time just in Arlington. It's a very small thing but traveling around the world you may easily notice that there are numerous countries where such kind of advertising is unknown:
1. countries with no or very weak free market, like my country, Poland under communist rulers till 1989, when free market was an abstraction, crazy fantasy or a dream and any advertising (surely except of the communist party) had to be a loss of money
2. countries where locals are poor enough to regularly clean such boxes and use the advertising books as a free sorce of paper or something else.
That's why, I was a little bit proud when I saw similar boxes for the first time in my fast growing country a few years ago.

• Updated Feb 5, 2005

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Arlington?