"Flinders Ranges/ Wilpena Pound" Australia Things to Do Tip by martin_nl

Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos

Overlooking Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges
by martin_nl

By now the trip was getting superb. The first day of the tour we didn't see all too much because there was a lot of driving involved. We travelled all the way from Adelaide to Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges. We set up camp here and had a fire and a bbq. It was a great ending of the first day. At night it was getting colder and colder though. At one stage I woke up with my feet almost freezing off, even two I had all my socks on. So I went outside with sleeping bag wrapped around me and put my feet close to the fire that was fortunately still burning. I put my feet in a bit too close though since one of my woollen sock melted away under my feet. Too bad, oh well, at least I had warm feet again. I wasn't the only one having cold feet because pretty much eveyone was sitting outisde again at 2am!

Next morning we all woke up again early and after a quick breakfast we walked up to the ridge of Wilpena Pound on the Mt Ohlsen bagge track. What an amazing view you have from here. Wilpena pound is a sort of oval shaped formation of fills. When viewed from the air and in aboriginal believes it looks like a man and a woman are lying down. The hike up to the top is a moderate walk, and you have many good views from all over the path. The track takes about 3-4 hours. When at the top it is quite difficult to find your way around, because there are many bushes that block your view. However just walk around a bit till you reach an area with open rocks.

• Updated Sep 15, 2005

Comments

martin_nl

“It's all good...”

Have you been to Australia?