"Where to rent a car? (part 1/3)" United States of America Transportation Tip by matcrazy1

United States of America Transportation: 240 reviews and 257 photos

RENTAL CAR AT DULLES AIRPORT NEAR WASHINGTON, DC
by matcrazy1

There are at least ten American car hire companies, a few operate worldwide, many national and numerous local as well. They run thousands car rentals which are located at airports or to be more exact close to airports or outside, usually in suburbs.

The most known companies are (call free from the USA/Canada):

1. Budget (800-527-0700) - my favourite company. Both times I rented a car their offer was the cheapest. They gave me discounts at place (call and check a few locations like I did in San Diego). My hired cars were nearly new. On the way I could always visit any of numerous locations to check or wash my hired car. I had to call them at 28th day to prolong my rental.

2. Avis (800-331-1212) - worldwide large company, but the most expensive offer at my case

3. Alamo (800-832-7933) - good choice and offer of insurance, at first less expensive than Budget (I even made reservation at Alamo in San Diego via Internet) but they didn't want to lower the price like Budget did

4. Dollar (800-800-4000) - few promotions, a little bit more expensive for me as Budget

5. Enterprise (800-736-8222) - same as Alamo, even cheaper at first but no unlimited mileage at my case, that means more expensive in total for me

6. Hertz (800-654-3131) - large, world-wide company but expensive

7. National (800-227-7368) - same as Alamo, they want International Driving Licence if your national is not in English

8. Thrifty (800-367-2277) - the cheapest at first sight but very expensive insurance (limited choice of options) and poor service in case of emergency (accident, breakdown)

To be continued in the next tip.

Mode: AROUND