"Which car to hire? (part 1/2)" United States of America Transportation Tip by matcrazy1

United States of America Transportation: 240 reviews and 257 photos

MY HIRED BUICK CENTURY
by matcrazy1

I needed a car comfortable enough for long drives daily, a car which I know (Nissan, Toyota preferrably) and first of all with large trunk for my 2 large and 2 smaller suitcases. Add here an ice chest, a laptop and other smaller items. For security reasons I always keep all luggage in a trunk (security in case of any accident and not to attract thefts as well).

YOU CAN'T BOOK SPECIFIED CAR MODEL
Keep in mind that you can't book specified model of a car but a car of specified category. There are 12 categories of vehicles available at Budget in USA and Canada - details here. In San Diego I decided to rent a car specified as mid-size (Hyundai Sonata or similar) which should store 2 small, 2 medium and 1 large suitcase in a trunk.

DIFFERENT NAMES IN EUROPE AND THE USA
I wanted first to rent Nissan Primera but they didn't know that car. No wonder, it's called Nissan Altima in the USA. Keep in mind that there are often different names for the same or almost the same cars in Europe and the USA. They had Altima and I took it. However, its large trunk coudn't store all my luggage because it was too shallow. I had to ask Budget for another car and they proposed me almost new Buick Century - completely unknown for me. I liked it at first sight and my luggage was perfectly stored in its trunk.

THE BEST EQUIPPED CARS
The USA is the world's largest car market. The cars are better equipped there than in Western Europe, not mention my country, Poland. Mid-size cars in Budget are always equipped with air-condition, cruise control, anti-lock brakes, CD player etc. (details here).

To be continued in the next tip.

Mode: AROUND