"Is hiring a car expensive? (part 3/3)" United States of America Transportation Tip by matcrazy1

United States of America Transportation: 240 reviews and 257 photos

BUICK CENTURY AT JOSHUA TREE NP, CALIFORNIA
by matcrazy1

Continued.

IT WAS VERY EXPENSIVE

Hiring a car in the USA was very expensive for me. It was my main expense (even more than hotels), difficult to bear especially during my first trip in 2003. In 2004, I enjoyed weak US dollar and strong Polish currency (zloty). My money was worth almost 20% more the second time out which finally persuaded me to revisit the USA so fast.

IT WAS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE
Well, I can't complain. I enjoyed my both (as for now) US trips by a hired car a lot and I would spend that money for it again and again. Now, I even can't imagine how to visit so many places including off the beaten paths and wonderful National Parks without a car. A car is a must for everyone who wants to discover real beauty and variety of the USA.

WHEN YOU RENT A CAR YOU SAVE
What? Time and money. And... time is money.

Saving time
Travelling by train (Amtrak) or by bus (Greyhound; cheaper option) you waste time for waiting for the next connection, getting to tourist attractions and back to bus stops/train stations etc.

Saving money
You may waste money for more expensive accommodations and food as your choice is limited to hotels/restaurants located close to your stops. You may waste money for expensive taxis as well. On the other hand you save on gas (cheap in comparison to Europe) and parking fees.

Final conclusion
To visit as many places as I managed to visit, without a car, I would have to spend, say, half a year in the USA instead of my 70 days (combined) thus I would spend more money for accommodations and food.

Mode: AROUND