"Is hiring a car expensive? (part 2/3)" United States of America Transportation Tip by matcrazy1
United States of America Transportation: 240 reviews and 257 photos
MY BILLS (continued)
2. In October 2004 I rented Premium car (Buick LeSABRE) in Budget car rental at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) in Arlington, Virginia for 31 days.
I paid $1814.54 !
The price included:
- $845.99 (basic rental fee: $845.99 per month, $40.00 per day)
- $93.99 (11.11% Concession Recovery Fee)
- $90.21 (DCA Contract Fee: $2.91/day)
- $249 (LDW: regular price was $20.99/day but... I got a discount worth over $440 :-) - it was $273.9 with 10% tax - 15% of the total price,
- $127.92 (10% sales tax)
- $36.98 (fuel purchage option: I was allowed to get a car back without fuel)
- $370.45 (SLI: $11.95/day) - 20.4% of the total price.
Summary: insurance (LDW + SLI) cost $644.35, the rest $1170.19.
CALIFORNIA VERSUS VIRGINIA
I paid almost the same total price (per day) in both states, but I hired better car in Virginia. Insurance was much more expensive in California - well, there are numerous "expensive" movie stars to hit by car there :-). Or maybe they literally tax everything that moves in California.
THESE WERE THE CHEAPEST RENTALS
As a car rental was my main expense, both times I spent hundred hours or more searching for the cheapest car rentals in the net at my dates and locations, for my kind of car with unlimited mileage and full insurance coverage and... I didn't find anything less expensive. In San Diego, I called (with great help of Linda's son) to a few car rentals to find out finally the least expensive Budget. In both cases I got discounts worth a few hundred bucks. When I tried to book a car in Poland through travel agents it always cost over $500 more :-(.
To be continued in the next tip.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Transportation in United States of America (18)
More Reviews (1)
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels