"Is hiring a car expensive? (part 1/3)" United States of America Transportation Tip by matcrazy1
United States of America Transportation: 240 reviews and 257 photos
Looking at advertisements and discounts at various car rentals it's not that much expensive. For example: 159$/week for mid-size car at Budget today. At first you can think that you pay 4 x $159 = $636 for 28 days. You are totally wrong!
At first, read carefully terms and conditions (21 points!) to get to know that usually the discount offer is not for you :-(. And keep in mind that the total price you pay for the car rental consists of numerous taxes, insurance fees, additional surcharges and is far higher than the price you find at first on advertisements. I recommend to buy full insurance coverage although it's very expensive, especially for non US-residents. It added additional 91.5% (!) to my basic rental price in San Diego, California and "only" 55% in Arlington, Virginia. It hurts...
1. In April 2003 I rented mid-size car (Buick Century) in Budget car rental in San Diego (4955 Ruffner Street), California for 1 month and 4 days (34 days).
I paid $1917.23 !
The price included:
- $917.99 (basic rental fee: $769.99 per month and $37 per day)
- $10.95 (refueling service charge: I wasn't obliged to refuel a car when I got it back)
- $71.99 (7.75% sales tax)
- $510.00 (LDW = Loss Damage Waiver: $105/week, $15.00/day) - 26,6% of the total price
- $406.30 (SLI = Suplemental Liability Insurance: $11.95 per day) - 21,2% of the total price.
Summary: insurance (LDW + SLI) cost $916.30, the rest $1000.93.
To be continued in the next tip.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Transportation in United States of America (18)
More Reviews (1)
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels