VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

El Fogon: "Typical Parrillada" El Fogon Tip by Wade123

El Fogon, Montevideo: 4 reviews and 1 photos

This place was recommended by our hotel. The interior was very nice. It was doing a good business and it had an extensive menu. Our waiter was a bit abrupt and not very friendly. He acted like he was in a hurry, which he was not. I expect better in an Argentinian or Uruguayan restaurant.
My wife's chicken was good and cost $5. My steak was flavorful but a bit tough (sorry to all you guys who think their beef is "great" - - it can be but not always) and cost over $7. They charged a 'cubierto' (a charge to sit at a table and use their fork!) of 34P/$1.35. A beer (620 ml) was $2.25. A bottle of water was over a dollar. A coke was $1.35. The entire bill less the tip was 518P/$21.72USD.
This place was good but not great by any means. Had the waiter been more professional (I really appreciate a nice friendly waiter!), I'm sure my opinion of the El Fogon would have been more positive.

Favorite Dish: It was all good, but nothing to write home about.

Address: San Jose 1080
Directions: Downtown area.
Phone: +598 2900 0900
Rating: 3
Theme: Local

• Written Jan 27, 2005

Comments

Have you been to Montevideo?