"A tourist trap by strict definition" Pubs and Bars Tip by planxty

Pubs and Bars, London: 7 reviews and 5 photos

Prospect of Whitby, Wapping, london
by planxty

I was very much in two minds as to whether to include this as a general tip or a tourist trap - it's the Prospect of Whitby pub in Wapping.

Certainly, it has a very long a interesting history, the interior is very "Olde Worlde" including a pewter bar top. It is said that Judge Jeffreys, the Hanging Judge much despised by the populace in the 17th century, was a regular in the pub and was captured prior to being taken to the nearby Tower of London and executed.

The bar has great views over the river and a small balcony to stand on (it has been known to collapse in the past!). Sounds great.

The reason I have included it as a tourist trap is that is, by definition, what it is. In the evenings, especially in the summer, you can't get near the bar for the busloads of tourists that have been deposited there for an hour or so. If you are happy trying to have a quiet drink with camera flashes going off everywhere then this may be the place for you, but it's not my thing. I used to live within ten minutes walk of the place and very rarely used it.

The food, expecially in the upstairs restaurant, is expensive.

Unique Suggestions: Go early in the day, early afternoon isn't too crowded. Summer is obviously busier than the rest of the year.

Fun Alternatives: Either the excellent Town of Ramsgate pub about 15 minutes walk away in Wapping High Street or for a real East End local try Turners Old Star at 14 Watts Street, London, E1W 2QG. I can personally recommend both.

• Updated Jun 24, 2013

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Your preferences are noted ;-))) good read !

• planxty's Profile Photo
      Sep 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Again, thank you. the Prospect is OK and with a huge amount of history, just not a place I get into much.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM

tks for your reply. I go with open mind, wherever I go. And what I remember of VT pages is writing like yours, it inspires me without filling my head with precise address & price details. So not to worry about having to update... it would be quite a full-time job for London, maybe especially for the East End, changing so fast and ... sob... with so many pub being boarded up. But with what you, Shaz, Paul & others project, I'm sure the vibe is still there & unique in the old East End.
    Btw, Town of Ramsgate sounds great to me, if only because Shaz mentioned Wapping in her list of Boroughs to me and I immediately wanted to get there. Wapping High Street... what a cool name!

planxty Lives Here!

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to London?