"Good Lodging Choice for Dublin" Egan's House Tip by gomexico

Egan's House, Dublin: 415 reviews and 1 photos

After visiting family in Co. Longford over the New Year's holiday, I spent 5 days in Dublin. It's been a long time since staying overnight in Dublin and I was uncertain about just where to stay.

I'd thought of staying in one of the city centre hostels, but changed my mind when I contemplated weekend revelers wandering home in the early a.m. Also, I didn't want to stay in the heart of the city, and I didn't want to pay the high price of hotels for a single room (traveling single, I was).

I found Egan's listed here and elsewhere and chose it, and was more than happy with the choice. The price was about US$50 for an excellent, but small, room with great bed, excellent heat (sometimes rare in Dublin), fantastic marble bath and hot water shower, coffee maker, iron and board, Cable TV, etc.

Unique Qualities: The house is located in a middle-class residential area that's a 15 minute bus ride from the heart of the city. Take away restaurants are nearby, and there's an all-night bus route two blocks away. Pubs and other businesses are close by, too.

A breakfast is included in the room price, and it's fantastic - an all-you-can-eat deal, with things for anyone's diet. Two large sitting rooms are in the house (actually three connected houses), the staff was helpful and nice, and free newspapers are available daily. There's also a high-speed internet connection available for ?3 per hour.

When I left I walked three blocks and caught a city bus that took me right to the airport departure terminal, for about ?1.80 (you can also make the trip from airport to the hotel as easily).

Address: 7/9 Iona Park, Glasnevin, Dublin, County Dublin 5
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Glasnevin is a neighborhood a 15 minute ride by city bus, or a leisurely 30-minute walk from O'Connell Street.
Phone: +353 18303611