"driving the causeway" Tampa Favorite Tip by arasnosliw

Tampa General: 50 reviews and 102 photos

stopping along the causeway for a photo op
by arasnosliw

Fondest memory: My dad lived near Clearwater for several years, so I've driven the Courtney Campbell Causeway to Tampa more times than I can even count. Strange that my fondest memories of Tampa are of driving this causeway, but until you actually do so yourself you're just going to have to trust my pretty indescriptive words. This 13 mile causeway crosses over Tampa Bay, and it's not technically a bridge. Back in 1934 the causeway was built to allow people easier access to Clearwater without having to drive all around the massive Bay. Workers created this land strip to enable cars to drive along it. The 13 mile drive is my absolute favorite in Florida. You're surrounded by the beautiful Bay, there's no poles from bridges to obstruct your view, and you're so close to the water level that you feel like you are almost driving on top of the water. Now that my dad has moved, I'll always cherish those times we drove along the causeway and I may have to return some day just to relive those days.

• Written Jan 19, 2005