"Acropolis during the day" Acropolis Tip by AsterixSg

Acropolis, Athens: 179 reviews and 334 photos

by AsterixSg

All these tips from here onwards are based on my first visit to Athens in Feb 2004. The hotel where I had stayed had arranged for an English speaking Taxi driver who took me around town showing me all the places along the way. He was very knowledgeable and told me several interesting anecdotes which are still with me. We also talked about a whole range of topics - from food to culture to the Greek mythology, the tourism industry and life in general in Greece. Very interesting person who later turned out to be a good friend !!! He also took me to the Greek Vegetarian restaurant called 'The Eden' in Plaka where I tried out the vegetarian version of the Moushaka !!!

It was a Sunday when I reached Athens and during winters, the Acropolis closes at 3 PM. Since we didn't have much time left, he took me to Philopappou Hill across the Acropolis. Here's a view of the Parthenon from the Philopappou Hill.

Note that if you go on a Sunday, the entry to Acropolis is FREE ! Other days, you will need to pay 12 Euros.

Directions: City center

• Written Jan 18, 2005

“Keep your head and heart in the right direction and you'll never have to worry about your feet.”

Have you been to Athens?