"The Only Photograph Allowed Inside the Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination Civil Rights Museum Tip by Elena_007

Civil Rights Museum, Memphis: 19 reviews and 43 photos

The Wall of Struggle-National Civil Rights Museum
by Elena_007

As soon as you enter the National Civil Rights Museum in downtown Memphis, you will be asked to surrender your camera until after you have completed the tour. Cameras are not allowed past the entrance, but you may take a photo of the wall depicting the struggle with thousands of men and women climbing their way up to the top. This photo is only a small section of the wall. Please click on it to enlarge for greater detail. Every Monday from 3:00PM - 5:00PM, all visitors are allowed free access, but no audio tapes are distributed at this time. You may browse the site at your leisure, stopping at your particular points of interest along the way. There is much to see and read, and several videos of the turbulent times and civil unrest in America. This Museum is not strictly about Memphis or Dr. Martin Luther King, although it certainly focuses on the events that transpired here.

I can remember as a child growing up in Memphis, the chaos in the city. I was only 5 years old when the shot that was heard around the world was fired, and even though I didn't understand it all, I was curious about why the National Guard were patrolling the streets in full riot gear and enforcing a curfew along my neighbo(u)rhood street. I can also vividly remember the segregation taking place at my school. I wasn't subject to being transported by bus to another school district, because I lived across the street from my elementary school, but had friends that just disappeared one day, never to be seen at school again. Although my Dad was quite prejudiced back then, I never allowed him to think for me and always looked at a person's heart, not their skin colo(u)r. I can remember standing up for all my friends, regardless of their nationality. This museum certainly brought back many childhood memories for me.

Tour length is approximately one to two hours. Please see the following website for more information, including highlights of the museum, opening hours, prices and a map of the location.

Address: 450 Mulberry Street
Phone: 901-521-9699
Website: http://www.civilrightsmuseum.org

• Updated Mar 27, 2005

Comments

Elena_007 Lives Here!

Elena_007

“Smile ... because you can :)”

Have you been to Memphis?