"Kissing...kissing..." Top 5 Page for this destination Caracas Local Custom Tip by carolinaEspada

Caracas Local Customs: 82 reviews and 87 photos

Daniel, the sexual harraser, and me: his victim...
by carolinaEspada

We venezuelan kiss on the cheek. A lot. Everybody. All the time. For example, besides kissing my mom, family and my he/she friends, Ive always kissed my teachers, my doctors, their assistants, the secretaries in the newspaper, all of my class mates, students, work mates, the lady that comes to do the cleanning 3 times a week, a perfect extranger and his wife (who I met in a party, shook hands in the begining, said "nice to meet you" and, at the end of the party, we kissed good by), the guy from the book store, the guys that repairs my car, etc. It doesnt takes much for a venezuelan to kiss another person. Im a serious one. There are many that, when a friend of yours introduces them, they kiss you first thing and right away. I never do this. I wait until the end.

Now, what does this mean? That we are friendly. PERIOD. In 99% of the cases it doesnt means anything else. There is not a promise neither a proposal neither a compromise beyond that. So, dont expect anything else after a venezuelan kiss on the cheek. Dont get carried away.

In the picture, with my pig ears, Im kissing Daniel Gutiérrez, M.D. (a cardiologist and a baseball specialist) who unsuccesfully sexual harrased me during 2004. The whole year. All kind of proposals. And I always said: "Oh, thank you very much, but no".

I also said: "The day you stop sexual harrasing me... who knows... maybe something can happen...".

• Written Jan 16, 2005

carolinaEspada Lives Here!

“Sooner or later I will be back to VT. First I have to upgrade my computer. I cant read your emails, nor "forum"...”

Have you been to Caracas?