"Tale of Four Women from San Francisco, CA" Top 5 Page for this destination La Paz Warnings Or Dangers Tip by AlbuqRay

La Paz Warnings and Dangers: 31 reviews and 16 photos

Street Down to Plaza San Francisco
by AlbuqRay

This is the story of four women from San Francisco, California, as related to me in the Anyi Room (a place to share) of the Hotel Rosario in La Paz. These young women were not novice travelers, so it could have happened to anyone. It was not a good start to their trip but they had a good attitude and were supporting each other. I left early the next morning and have always wondered how the rest of their trip went.

It started at the airport. I did not see them but they were on the same flight as me from Miami. I did not know her at the time, but Angela was a couple of people in front of me in the immigration line. Clearly she was happy and excited to be in La Paz. By the time I got my luggage, I noticed she was in the small infirmary getting oxygen for soroche (altitude sickness) and not feeling good at all. Unfortunately she had a pretty bad case.

To give you an idea of how individual soroche can be, I found out later that two of the other women only got a tingling feeling in their legs and a feeling of lightheadness. One was pretty much unaffected. Presumably all lived near sea level back home. I wonder if the coca tea they drank in the Anyi Room helped.

Evidentally they were not being met by someone at the airport and just hired a taxi to get to the Hotel Rosario. Too bad I did not know them then, because there was plenty of room in the van that my guide brought. Anyway, the next thing that happened was when they arrived at the Hotel Rosario. It is a busy street without much place to stop. A guy came to help Corina with her luggage. She thought he was hotel staff but he started to load her bag into a car. Fortunately she was able to grab it back before they drove off.

Right after they checked in, they decided to walk down to the Plaza San Francisco area (hey, they were from San Francisco). However, that really was not a wise thing to do if you are having problems with soroche... Continued in the next tip.

• Updated Jan 15, 2005

More Warnings and Dangers in La Paz (1)

Comments

AlbuqRay

“Karma with free will: we earn our destiny by choosing among countably infinite eigenstates”

Have you been to La Paz?