"SKYDIVING" Nevada Sports & Outdoors Tip by DrexelDragon

Nevada Sports & Outdoors: 8 reviews and 11 photos

GO BIG OR GO HOME.
by DrexelDragon

I was bored one evening while sitting around with a coworker watching TV on a saturday nite while in Vegas. (You can't go out every nite or you'll die...) Figured that I wanted to do something cool. AH HA!!! Skydiving! Called up the place, and booked me for noon the next day.

Got there. Signed the paperwork and watched the video, and then it was time to saddle up. Put on some overalls and strap on your harness. Here I must make a special note. ALL MEN WHO HAVE TESTICLES...BE ABSOLUTELY SURE TO REACH DOWN, GRAB, AND LIFT UP YOUR TWIG AND BERRIES WHEN YOU STRAP ON YOUR HARNESS AND TIGHTEN DOWN THE STRAPS AROUND YOUR LEGS. ALSO BE SURE THEY ARE FREE AND ARE NOT "PACKED IN" BY YOUR PANTS OR COVERALLS BEING PULLED TIGHT BY THE HARNESS.

Okay. So, once I was ready, I paid my fee for 10,000 ft. Then went over the actions to take when about to jump and in freefall. Quick 5 minutes later and the plane is taxiing down the runway. The climb was intense. It was a small piper plane. I sat right next to the door that we would fall out of. The pilot was next to me. My tandem instructor was right in front of me as I sat the opposite way the plane was flying. It banked and I could look out and see Lake Mead. It was spectacular. All systems go internally, and then I saw the instructor getting his gear on. Started to get the adrenaline flowing. Then he got me situated and strapped on. Opened the door, and it was certainly a long way down. Scooted into position...3-2-1...and roll...I remember looking down and seeing the ground, blinked, then saw the plane falling away, and then there was the ground again. NOTE: BE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD GOGGLES ON. IF WHEN YOU TRY THEM ON, THEY FEEL LIKE THEY MIGHT MOVE ON YOUR FACE, ASK FOR A DIFFERENT PAIR. Mine ended up riding up my eye a bit.

It was incredible. I was absolutely stunned when the chute opened. I had talked myself into believing that the chute wasn't going to open. What a rush!

Equipment: Comfortable clothes. Sneakers. No jewelery. A tandem jump outfit. An empty stomach, but a large bottle of water left in your car for when you get back for the drive home. A good nite's sleep before the day of, and...

Conviction.