Bukhara: "The President Clinton Feast" New Delhi Restaurant Tip by NedHopkins

New Delhi Restaurants: 124 reviews and 133 photos

We had to do it. My son and I are both die-hard Democrats. We had to eat in the restaurant that Bill Clinton said is so good he 'wished [he] had two stomachs.'

We ordered the President Clinton special: 1800 rupees (about US$42) for two.

There came hors d'oeuvres, soup, salad, and then a huge platter of meats -- sausages, various cuts of lamb, several chicken pieces.

My son, the big eater, got through about a third of the platter. I didn't do nearly so well.

When our waiter offered us dessert -- 'it comes with the meal' -- we two sweet-lovers both declined.

Everything was delicious -- beyond delicious, in fact -- and the meat platter offered the most succulent flesh I've tasted anywhere.

We left Bukhara with an enhanced appreciation of Bill Clinton's appetite for food.

Bukhara made the 2006 list of "50 Best Restaurants in the World," the first and only restaurant in India to gain that distinction. Having eaten in three of the others -- and thus having a small basis of comparison -- I heartily concur with the experts' judgment.

>>Europe-based Restaurant Magazine recently revealed the 50 Best Restaurants in the World for 2006, chosen by an international panel of chefs, food critics and restaurateurs. The panel was divided into 20 voting regions from different parts of the world, each with its own small jury. In total, 560 judges cast 2,800 votes for the best restaurant in their region and in the world.<<

Favorite Dish: The President Clinton special (for the reasons given above).

Price Comparison: most expensive
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: Other

• Updated Aug 16, 2006

Have you been to New Delhi?