"Take a train to get to Varanasi" Varanasi Things to Do Tip by schlumpf

Varanasi Things to Do: 269 reviews and 463 photos

on the train
by schlumpf

From my point of view this is the must activity number one, altough it is at real a transportation tip.... The experiences that you will do taking a train to reach Varanasi is something great, something that will never leave your brain.
I took the train from Jaipir to Varanasi, and it should be a 15 hours ride scheduled, but at the end it tooks about 30 hours!
I choose to reserve the 2nd class sleeper departing at 13,10 from Jaipur, cuz I was wishing to meet a lot of backpackers. At real I met only local people, amazing people!! No one tourist was on that train!!! (or not in that tube)
When I dropped on the train I was not expecting anything special or anything cleaned up so much, but my thought were pretty far away from the reality....The 2nd class sleeper is something sooooooo dirty, where there is no light at all, where the bathrooms are ...phhhhh...full of sh**, where actually you could not smoke but you know...
There are few military with guns on the train, for tourist safety, but no one of them is taking seriously care of you.
Do not listen on the people that tells you that the second class is not safer for tourist, that on the 2nd class a lot of robbers happends...only ***s! They try to sell you the highest class...
I enjoyed so much the 2nd class, I didnt sleep at all because once on the train some guys start talking to me and we just spoke all the way long, sharing experience and culture ...was one of the best experience I had in India till that time! I will always remember that trip, from the Chai seller that jumps on the train every trainstations, from the food seller that tryes to sell you somehting from the windows, from the old indians that tryes to speak with this ?foreigner on the train?, from the beautifull lady on the picture that speak to me such a beautifull english very curious to know what I was doing in India and what was I doing in Italy...amaaaaazing!
It has been a great adventure, with lot of memories, and definitely sonething to suggest!!

• Written Jan 11, 2005

“Sky is the limit...”

Have you been to Varanasi?