Tuscany: "Little Italy-Northern Italian" Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Tip by Dabs

Tuscany, Chicago: 2 reviews and 1 photos

When we head to Taylor Street we always head to the same place, Rosebud, since we've never had a bad meal there. But so many people have recommended Tuscany to me (except my SIL who hated it), I decided it was time to try a different place.

We had reservations for 8 pm on a Saturday, after a considerable wait for the valet service, we checked in and were seated shortly after our reservation time.

The dining area is one large room that is well lit with tables VERY close together. On a busy Saturday evening, it made conversation a bit of a challenge and would certainly not not be a good choice for an intimate dinner.

Our server was very good, a little slow but fine for a leisurely dinner.

Our tab with tip and drinks was $60 per person, take $20-$25 off if you don't order drinks. It seemed like we ordered a lot of food but I was the only one with leftovers. Entrees ranged from $8 for a pizza to $30 for steak, most within the $13-$20 range.

Favorite Dish: The bread came with an olive oil/garlic/parmesan dip, the addition of garlic was a tasty touch but the bread was not as fresh as Rosebud.

For appetizers we ordered calamari fritti, which was OK but not as generous of a portion nor as good as Rosebud. The other appetizer special, a mushroom stuffed with crabmeat in a butter caper sauce was tasty.

For entrees I tried spaghettini al capriccio di mare, spaghetti with seafood, tomatoes, and garlic. It had a nice flavor but some of the seafood was a bit tough. The portion size was enough for two meals.

David tried ravioli with ricotta and spinach in a porcini mushroom sauce which was very flavorful. The portion was not huge but adequate.

Our friends ordered veal parmigana which was not on the menu, very good and a large portion (he all but licked the plate!) and a pear and parmigano stuffed ravioli in a pine nut, walnut, sun dried tomato, marscapone cheese puree. It was tasty but to me a little sweet for a main dish.

We ordered several desserts to split, the tiramisu was tasty, light on the cappucino flavor which I prefer. The mango creme brulee had a good flavor but was more gelatin like than creme brulee. The white chocolate profiteroles were very good.

Address: 1014 W. Taylor Street, Little Italy
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: From 90/94, take the Taylor Street exit west, only a few blocks from the highway
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 4
Theme: Italian
Website: http://www.stefanirestaurants.com/tuscany.htm

• Written Jan 9, 2005

Comments

Dabs Lives Here!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?