St-Viateur Bagel: "St-Viateur Bagel" St. Viateur's Bagels Tip by Carmanah

St. Viateur's Bagels, Montreal: 12 reviews and 10 photos

Me and my bagel outside of St-Viateur
by Carmanah

When I think of Montreal food, I always think of smoked meat and bagels. This is because Montreal is famous for its own unique style of bagels and their own unique way of preparing smoked meat.

While there are many bagel shops in the city of Montreal, St-Viateur's is possibly the most legendary and a local favourite. For starters, they've been around since 1957!

On a cold December evening, we wandered through my significant other's old childhood neighbourhood and stumbled across St-Viateur's. I doubt it was by accident.

Through the windows I could see the bakers at work, baking the round pieces of dough in the wood-burning oven. We walked in and the smell was delicious. Even though it was cold and dark outside, people were arriving to pick up their bagels. It turns out that this place is open 24 hours! As we stood in line I noticed the coolers containing all kinds of cream cheeses, and all kinds of smoked salmon for the bagels.

When it was our turn, we bought half a dozen bagels - 3 poppyseed and 3 sesame seed. They were so fresh, they were still hot! They were put into a brown paper bag, and away we went.

Outside I bit into the fresh poppyseed bagel. The entire thing was covered in poppy seeds. The bagels themselves are made with a sweet, dense dough of malt flour, flour, eggs, yeast, sugar, oil and water. The bagels are then simmered in hot honey water for 4 minutes which gives them their sheen and their sweetness.

This is quite a different style from the New York bagel, Montreal's biggest bagel rival. However, you can't compare Montreal bagels really... accept them for what they are. Some people say that they remind them of fresh-baked soft pretzels. Whatever they remind you of, I think they're definitely a must-try when you're in Montreal!

Favorite Dish: While St-Viateur bagels are excellent fresh as they are, you can also slice them in half and toast them with cheese. They make an excellent snack!

Address: 263 St. Viateur Ouest, Montreal
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: At Ave. du Parc
Phone: +1 514-276-8044
Rating: 5
Theme: Bakery
Website: http://www.stviateurbagel.com

• Updated Jun 27, 2007

Comments

Carmanah Visits Here Frequently!

Carmanah

“You only live once!”

Have you been to Montreal?