"Italians. Coming to a city near you." Top 5 Page for this destination Tourists Tip by NiceLife
Tourists, Nice: 5 reviews and 4 photos
After two thousand years, they're back.
Two Italian people transporters lead the invasion. Each the size of an eight storey apartment block, these giant floating "people-movers" dwarf everything in the port of Nice, as tens of thousands of Italians occupy the Riviera for the new year.
Streets everywhere are lined with the new modern chariots, gleaming polished black and chrome VW and BMW four-by-fours, with tinted windows and Milan or Turin number plates. Gare SNCF has trains arriving from Italian cities every hour, disgorging impossibly glamorous passengers.
The Promenade des Anglais is transformed into a Milanese catwalk as fashionistas strut in their killer heels and designer clothes. Suddenly everyone is wearing dark glasses. The Cours Saleya resembles a mink farm. Mobile phones are in one hand, the other waving as they speak. "Allora, ragazza, bene bene " The hotels are full, the restaurant tables are all booked. Italy has arrived.
The high society of Northern Italy takes over Nice for the New Year. At the strike of midnight champagne corks pop on the beach and fireworks light up the baie. The festive mood runs high. A few days later the invaders will retreat, leaving no trace other than lingering designer scent in the air.
But they'll be back.
More Warnings and Dangers in Nice (25)
More Reviews (164)
- See All New bus tariffs from May 3rd, 2013
- See All Promenades des Anglais (2005) Olivier...
- See All At last - beer at sensible prices - with...
- See All One final "thing to do" - do nothing!
- See All Why shopkeepers are suspicious of you
- See All Love to walk in the sky? :Grande...
- See All Temperature around the year in Nice
- See All Well recommended by the many Scots...
- See All Power-assisted para-flying thingumy
- See All Where to see big French and...
- See All Nice Etoile
- See All You came here to get away from this, no?
NiceLife's Related Pages
Have you been to Nice?Share Your Travels