"Capo Espichel- the end of the world" Monuments and structures Tip by chemgirl

Monuments and structures, Lisbon: 56 reviews and 115 photos

Looking out from the edge of the world!
by chemgirl

Perhaps the most amazing trip I made in Lisbon is to Capo Espichel. There is a pagan fisherman festival on the last Sunday of September which we tried to go to but just missed- the aftermath looked amazing though so I still recommend it!!

To get there you can get a bus to Azoia from Sesimbra (get to Sesimbra for all sorts of day trips, you can reach it by ferry from the rest of Lisbon, costs about 35p and very quick!). From Azoia you have a 3Km walk approx to Capo Espichel, when I went we met a lovely old shepherd herding his sheep along who gave us some water- it is a walk along a deserted track so bring supplies!!!

The place itself is basically a clifftop with an old deserted church really close to the edge. It's breathtaking seeing the atlantic stretching away into infinity from the top.

HArd to put into words but really 100000% highly recommended. Bring some rolls and some chorizo and eat while watching the sea. Brave people who want to stick their heads over the edge will see car crashes on the way down. It's pretty empty too, barely another tourist in the 3 hours I was there.

Another pic on this tip in Must see activities.

• Updated Jan 7, 2005

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Lisbon?