Papillon Lagoon Reef: "Friendliest" Mombasa Hotel Tip by hurghadalady

Mombasa Hotels: 43 reviews and 59 photos

The Papillon Lagoon Reef was a 'must' for our 3rd trip. We had visited there 4 years previously.

We had a fantastic room from where we could see, smell and hear the gentle break of the waves on the shore. Every morning, being an early riser, I used to sit on the balcony writing, having a cup of coffee watching the antics of the monkeys in the tree.

The service is second to none, a smile goes a long way in Kenya. The food had improved 100% since our previous stay with a great choice every night. In exchange for showing me how to cook coconut rice, the chef got to learn how to make steak pie and shortbread.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. Even though now living in Egypt I will definitely return to my 'heartland'

Unique Qualities: Fantastic grounds with a small bridge and stream running through.

The swimming pool has a small island where it is not unusual to see gecko lizards.

Being really afraid of spiders I was actually dreading seeing any but on the South Coast we did not see one. On the North they are as big as saucers!

Address: Diani Beach
Price Comparison: about average
Price: US$120-180
Theme: Hotel

• Written Jan 4, 2005

More Hotels in Mombasa (1)

“every stranger is a potential friend”

Have you been to Mombasa?