"New Hampshire Inspires a Great Poet" Top 5 Page for this destination New Hampshire Favorite Tip by deecat

New Hampshire Favorites: 80 reviews and 83 photos

Robert Frost, American Poet
by deecat

Favorite thing: "Nearly half of my poems must actually have been written in New Hampshire...Four of my children were born in Derry, New Hampshire...So you see it has been New Hampshire with me all the way. You will find my poems show it, I think." Robert Frost, 1938

My favorite poet has always been Robert Frost. His insights into life are incredible; his use of language is simple and rugged at the same time; his keen eye for beauty is remarkable. As the winner of four Pulitzer Prizes in Poetry, he is one of America's most beloved men of literature.

Although Frost was born in California, after his father's death, the family moved to the East Coast. Frost was 26 when he came to Derry, New Hampshire, to take up farming as an indentured tenant on a rundown farm. For him it seemed like exile because he was a poet, not a farmer.

After a few years of farming, he quit to teach at Pinkerton Academy where he was recognized as an excellent teacher.
Derry, New Hamshire, was good for Robert Frost because from it came eleven books of poetry with patterns of color and speech, stories of plain people, and moments of heroism.
My favorite from that period is: "Death of the Hired Man"

In 1912, Frost sold the farm and left Derry to move his family to England. And England's great gift to Robert Frost was recognition
. Here, he published his first book of poems.
A writer once said, "New England had shown Frost how to listen to other people; old England helped him to recognize his own voice."

From that time, "Mending Wall is my favorite poem with its famous ironic line for all of us to contemplate,
"Good fences make good neighbors."

Perhaps Frost's most famous poem is:
"The Road Not Taken"
from which many VT members use quotes.

Fondest memory: In 1915 Frost returned his family to America, and this time they settled in Franconia, New Hampshire, where he purchased a little farm that backed up to the foot of Sugar Hill. T

his is where Frost wrote the wonderful poem called "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" that certainly describes New Hampshire in the winter months.

Soon, Frost was New England's Poet.
He taught, wrote, met other poets, learned not to be jealous of the other poet's fame, and gained more and more fame himself.

After his wife Elinor died, Frost returned to Derry, New Hampshire, to put her ashes beside Hyla Brook as she wished.

Frost was approaching his 89th birthday when he died, but he lives on through his famous poems that he sculptured in Derry and Franconia, New Hampshire as New England's Poet.

Fire and Ice
Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
to say that for destruction Ice
is also great
and would Suffice.

• Updated Jun 5, 2005

Comments

deecat

Have you been to New Hampshire?