"Schafberg" Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Off The Beaten Path Tip by acemj

For one of the best views in Austria I'd definitely recommend visiting the mountain that rises above St. Wolfgang. A trip to Schafberg makes for a good half-day (4-5 hours) adventure. There are two ways to get there. You can take the small train from Schafbergbahn (the tiny train station on the western side of town) or you can do it the old-fashioned way and hike up (which will take about 3 hours). The train ride cost 22 Euros when I was there in the summer of 2004.

Once at the top, you can ask the attendant when you get off the train when the next train goes back down. In my case, there was a train going down in a half hour or in another 1 1/2 hours. I decided to take my time up there and wait. It turned out to be a good decision, since I was able to hike around the entire peak and look out over the surrounding lake-swept countryside. There is even a hotel at the top, complete with a restaurant. There is another small restaurant at the top where I enjoyed a Apfelsaft (an apple drink). The views from 1783 meter peak are amazing.

• Updated Mar 26, 2005

Comments

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Have you been to Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut?