"childhood dreams never really go away" Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Favorite Tip by MrBill

Lauterbrunnen Favorites: 20 reviews and 33 photos

VW bus
by MrBill

Favorite thing: When I was a kid, we used to have this VW bus that my dad camperised, and we used to drive all over Western Canada in it and go camping.

Then when I was a little older, I read Travels with Charlie by John Steinbeck, and a little later, The Drifters by James Michener.

It has always been kind of a dream of mine to pack all my stuff - bike, skis, kayak, hiking boots, etc. - in a VW bus and spend at least 6-months discovering Europe without any fixed agenda. Just travelling around to places, hanging out, being able to sleep in the van, and then get up in the morning and go hiking or biking or whatever.

I might go to Toulouse and learn some French while exploring the Pyrennes or I might just kick around the Alps for a while. Unfortunately, it is getting the six months off. This could come between jobs and/or on my way back to Canada someday.

My other problem is finding someone who wants to come with me. Adventures are more fun when you have someone to share them with. But, in a VW van, it has to be someone that doesn't complain or get on your nerves too much.

• Written Dec 30, 2004

Comments

MrBill Visits Here Frequently!

MrBill

“would you think less of me if I didn't have a cheesey motto?”

Have you been to Lauterbrunnen?