Dubb Restaurant & Cafe: "Best Fine Dining for Vegetarians in Sultanahmet" Istanbul Restaurant Tip by newsshooter

Istanbul Restaurants: 929 reviews and 1,244 photos

Dubb Indian Restaurant - Istanbul
by newsshooter

This was the first restaurant that Olga and I dined at. It was our first meal in Istanbul.

I had seen the online adds and the read reviews and talked to a gentleman on the flight over who regularly eats at "Dubb Indian Restaurant & Cafe" when he and his wife are in Istanbul. I was not disappointed, but a little surprised because it seemed the dining area was all on one floor.

Dubb Indian Restaurant, like many Sultanahmet establishments, is "multi-level." It has been converted and is a narrow building. The dining areas are above the first floor with maybe 5 tables on each floor.

It was our first experience going up narrow wooden stairs to a dining area and it felt like an adventure, which was even more suggested by the nice decorations and ambiance.

This arrangement offers nice privacy for a couple to partake of long kisses and romantic lingering looks ;o)

The menu has a good selection for both vegetarians and meat eaters.

English is spoken by some staff, although our male waiter spoke only a little, he was soon replaced by a young lady who spoke both Russian and English.

The food was great! We ordered Nan, Soup, Rice, Curry and drinks.

I gave this 3 "stars" because I found the "Turkish" menu to be less expensive. A little mis-communication with the order and I would have liked to see more favorites, Sambar and Rasam soups and Garlic Nan for instance.

Favorite Dish: I wanted to come back and dine again to try more dishes but with so many restaurants and only seven days....I cant say I have a favorite dish, yet.

I liked the Vegetable Koorma and Biryani Rice, the soup was tasty but lacked something.

I would have really liked to see Aloo Gobi on the menu. I thought it was strange that it wasnt, especially after I found Cauliflower at many Turkish restaurants.

Despite what I said above I would recommend this very much, especially for those who like Indian food and for those of us who are vegetarian - It is the place to eat in Sultanahmet.

The staff is very friendly and attentive. I liked the little fruit flavored candies they gave us with our change.

The ambiance here and at Pera Thai were the best of all the restaurants we dined in while in Istanbul.

Address: Incili Cavus Sokak #10
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Incili Cavus Sokak is just north of Divan Yolu. If your facing the Sultan Pub and The Pudding Shop it will be directly behind them. It is more a walkway than a street and it begins at the park area above the Basilica Cistern (Yerebatab Saray)
Phone: 90-212-513-7308
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 3
Theme: Indian

• Updated Feb 8, 2009

Comments

newsshooter's Related Pages

newsshooter

“No plane crashes please!”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Istanbul?