"Twelve noon - its "boom" time!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Favorite Tip by NiceLife
Nice Favorites: 178 reviews and 179 photos
Favorite thing: On the dot of twelve noon each day, a canon shot sounds over central Nice. Look up to the sky and you will catch the puff of smoke from the explosive arial charge.
It is the canon of Sir Thomas Coventry, a colonel of the British army , who in 1860 asked the municipality of Nice to fire a cannonball everyday at noon, to remind his forgetful wife that it was time to serve his lunch. He committed to supplying all the ammunition and the canon, which was installed in the castle, at 92 meters in height, so that it could be heard by all the citizens of the city.
Hear the sound of the canon at twelve sharp and note, along with 300,000 Nicois, that it is time to go find a little restaurant to sit, eat and chat for the next two hours.
More Favorites in Nice (14)
More Reviews (175)
- See All New bus tariffs from May 3rd, 2013
- See All Riviera Road Safety and two wheels
- See All At last - beer at sensible prices - with...
- See All One final "thing to do" - do nothing!
- See All Why shopkeepers are suspicious of you
- See All Love to walk in the sky? :Grande...
- See All Temperature around the year in Nice
- See All Well recommended by the many Scots...
- See All Power-assisted para-flying thingumy
- See All Where to see big French and...
- See All Nice Etoile
- See All You came here to get away from this, no?
NiceLife's Related Pages
Have you been to Nice?Share Your Travels