L'Esprit de sel: "A good bargain (Etterbeek)" Top 5 Page for this destination L'Esprit de Sel Brasserie Tip by Norali

L'Esprit de Sel Brasserie, Brussels: 2 reviews and 0 photos

Given its location, one may think that l'Esprit de Sel is one of those rip-off restaurants for the EU execs... because, indeed, it is located on the very Place Jourdan square. Also, I was there, invited and, while browsing the menu card, found the prices exaggerated but soon I realize it was a good bargain for some Brasserie cuisine with a quality. Mostly classical French brasserie cuisine (not sure I would translate it as a "Brewery" cuisine ;-)).

A bit noisy and I could hear once in a while the patron arguing with the personnel... Apart from that, it was enjoyable to spend some hours there. I love the deco, especially the white and green tiles plus the ceiling lamp.

The card was very French with a bit of Belgian touch (waterzooi here, carbonnades à la flamande there...). I had my terrine de foie gras as a starter and onglet as main course...

Favorite Dish: Terrine de foie gras: I recommend it. It is the best I've ever had, so far... generous portion, a good taste, the perfect texture... Believe me, if I say it, it has to be so. Nah! Joke.. but I love it.

Don't go there if you are used to heavily salted dishes... The dishes are lightly salted. For me, it was perfect since it allowed to really distinguish the taste of the ingredients and not swallowing ounces of salt to appreciate what I ate. Though, I found my terrine de foie gras perfect, the onglet would deserve a little bit more salt, in my opinion. Anyway, it was satisfying. The meat was tender, I loved my fries..yeah !

I had my diner without wine (a difficult choice !) and it was in the 30 euros range. With wine, it would have topped the 40 euros easily. Anyway, I guess it would have been worthwhile.

Address: Place Jourdan 52-54
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Directions: Metro Schumann at Schumann square - take Rue Froissart, straight till you reach Place Jourdan. Then, it is one of those eateries at your right.
Phone: +32 (0)2 230 60 40
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 4
Theme: French
Website: http://www.espritdesel.be/?lang=en

• Updated May 29, 2005

Norali Used To Live Here!

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Brussels?