"DOMINó" Top 5 Page for this destination Caracas Sports & Outdoors Tip by carolinaEspada

Caracas Sports & Outdoors: 14 reviews and 51 photos

Extremely concentrated playing dominó
      Extremely concentrated playing dominó
    by carolinaEspada
      The "piedras", the dominó "stones"
    by carolinaEspada
      Dominó also made out of wood
      Venezuelan international winner players
      Anyone can play!!!
    by carolinaEspada

Its a very popular game in Latinamerica. But the game varies a little from one country to another. Although some women play it, this is a man's game (and I find it trully boring, because I dont know math and, when Im playing and relaxing and having lots of fun, I rather not think, I rather dance unleashed).

But if you know math, have an excelent memory and deduction (deductive) power... and love to be sitting down during hours and hours with 3 palls drinking some alcoholic drink, then "el dominó" is the right game for you.

And this is trully venezuelan. I close my eyes and remember clearly my great grand uncles Miguel and Felix playing with their friends. But men keep playing this all over. In any ocasion.

More info:

Equipment: The dominos are little rectangle "fichas" or "piedras" (stones). 28 of them, 7 for each player. In one side (the one that faces the other 3 players, there is nothing. On the player side you can see the "ficha" divided in the middle and the some dots or not: 2 dots in one half, 5 dots in the other. Or 3 dots on one half, no dots on the other (equivalent to zero).

These fichas, long ago, used to be made out of ivory (veeery expensive), but now they are made out of wood, some sort of plastic or other resistent material.

The player that starts the game is the one to have "la cochina" (the she-pig... awfull name) which is the doble six (six dots in one half, six dots in the other half), the next player, the one at his right hand, has to place one of his "fichas" with a 6 dots in on half next to this first one. If he doenst have a 6, he passes. Some players say: "Paso" (I pass), others just hit twice the table with one on his "fichas" (meaning the same thing: "paso"). Comes now the turn of player 3, who is the partner of player 1, who is right in front of him on the other side of the table.

There are lots of gestures and body signs and secret words that partners develop through out his life in other to tell the other: I'm running out of 5s, I have too many 3s, I think they have all the 4s. Is very funny to watch men play and scratching their left ear, scratching their head, scratching one testicle. All of this is a secret code. And they look awfully ridiculous. (But they are having a ball!)

Wins the game the player that gets rid first of his 7 "fichas". All of the other "dots" left in the table are added. The team that wins is the one that gets the first 100 points.

Address: parties, some bars, clubs, domino associations...
Theme: Other

• Updated Jul 23, 2006

carolinaEspada Lives Here!

“Sooner or later I will be back to VT. First I have to upgrade my computer. I cant read your emails, nor "forum"...”

Have you been to Caracas?