"The National Struggle Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Things to Do Tip by easyoar

Nicosia Things to Do: 157 reviews and 246 photos

Gallows in the National Struggle Museum
by easyoar

This Museum is in the South, and with a name like "The National Struggle Museum", you'd lay odds that it would be having a go at the Turks. This is not the case however, it is having a go at the British instead!

The first time I visited this museum was with a Greek Cypriot friend of mine from University (you can see her in the photo). Apparently it was one of her favourite spots, although given the subject matter, perhaps she was just having a laugh at my expense!

The museum is full of memorabilia related to the Greek group EOKA and their violent campaign against the British (including weapons and bombs), in their attempt to get the British to leave. It also documents the British reaction to this, which included hanging 9 EOKA fighters in the cities central prison in 1956.

As a brief aside, I have actually been into the cities central prison to see the real gallows (I don't have any pictures for fairly obvious reasons). I went visiting with about 10 Greeks/Greek Cypriots who I all knew very well, but had neglected to tell me where we were going! Once inside the prison, we went into a room with the actual gallows used and we were shown around by an elderly prison guard who used a lot of anti-British rhetoric. At the end of the 'tour' one of the Greeks thought it would be funny to ask him to guess our nationalities. He guessed me as being Greek. The Greek 'comedian' then went round us all pointing out our actual nationalities leaving me to last. The poor guard almost collapsed when he found out I was British and went into a long diatribe about how the British had never apologised for what they had done in Cyprus. Apparently I was the only British person who had ever visited, and I was made to sign the visitors book as proof that a Brit had actually been in...

The photo here shows the mock-up gallows in the museum along with trap door through which the condemned man would fall and handcuffs worn for the occasion. The photos of the hanged men can be seen on the wall in the background.

Directions: Near the Archbishops Palace.

• Updated Dec 19, 2004

Have you been to Nicosia?