Beanbah Espresso: "Undiscovered Gem in Macquarie St (near Hyde Park)" Cafes For Breakfast & Lunch only Tip by aussiedoug

Outside seating at Beanbah Espresso
by aussiedoug

Dare I say yet again, "funny how things happen"? But I have to because I set out to have lunch at Beuno Vista Cafe on Level 14 of the Law Courts building with fabulous views & good value food, but it was way too busy when I got there & didn't have time.....,

So I ended up right next door at street level at this little gem of a place that I've walked past before, but never gone in.

Wasn't too busy so knew my limited time would fit in nicely so in I went to be greeted by either the manager of owner with real personality & character. Not only him (who may have been of Italian, Greek or Lebanese descent), but also the wait stuff had the gr8 Aussie attitude to relaxed openness & friendliness. Often this attitude can result in service also being a little laid back, but not here. It was spot on!

Things I like about this place:-

The food, so read on below.

The service with a smile & a good amount of attentiveness. Let me elaborate on that. They actually asked when I ordered whether I wanted my coffee straight away or later on. Most places I have to specify later on as they automatically bring it out straight way, often with the cold drink you've ordered. Not only that, but I was asked just a few minutes before finishing my meal, if I would like my coffee then received just as I was swallowing the last mouthful ...., excellent timing. Not often you get that at a down to earth eating place such as this

Speaking of coffee, they stock Calima Cafe de Colombia coffee just as Obelisk Cafe in Macquarie Place does & I find it very good indeed.

I will definitely be going back here again & I recommend that you give it a go if you are in this part of town during your stay.

Favorite Dish: You are beginning to understand that I enjoy my tucker & that I am a little bit on the fussy side without being too picky. I enjoy risotto as a dish, but frankly have had a lot of rather ordinary ones. Not the case at Beanbah. I chose the Chicken & Asparague Risotto. It was a beautifully creamy risotto, but not too liquidy & had a reasonable amount of chicken & asparagus. It was an ideal amount for lunch too. Very enjoyable indeed.

I had a cold drink (had been walking extensively though Hyde Park for a couple of hours in the sun) of Splitrock lightly carbonated Pink Grapefruit drink. And of course, as you've read above a very good coffee.

A couple of points to finish off with.
No credit cards so cash only. They are open from earlyish breakfast through to late afternoon. They provide free jugs of water (too many don't)

Address: Shop 1, 235 Macquarie Street
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Almost at the sthn end of Macquarie St where it meets Hyde Park. It is almost directly opposite the Hyde Park Barracks Museum.
othercontact: 61 2 9389 3194 (fax no.)
Phone: 61 2 9231 5555
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated Dec 30, 2004

aussiedoug Lives Here!

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Have you been to Sydney?