"And finally, here are some of..." Cologne Local Custom Tip by Krystynn
Cologne Local Customs: 79 reviews and 105 photos
And finally, here are some of my personal observations of the Germans. Hence, this <i>Dos</i> and <i>Don'ts</i> list which you may find useful when you're in Germany:
(1) Before you embark on your BIG holiday to Germany, please try and find out when the German regional holidays fall on. <i>Why?</i> Because EVERYTHING will be closed on these holidays and you might be stranded!
(2) TRY and learn some basic German phrases and words. Oh, and you'll also discover what German humour is like. Whatever it is, I can only agree.
(3) A tip for Foreign Drivers: Be very careful when you're driving on the autobahns. German drivers in Germany are NOT like those in your respective countries. <i>Man</i>, they drive like there's no tomorrow!!! <i>My advice?</i> If in doubt, GIVE WAY to them.
(4) Germans are also well-known for their orderliness, their cleanliness and their punctuality. Then how do you think they can rebuild the entire country within a few short decades to what it is today? Remember also that their public transportation is almost always ON TIME; and this includes the individual person you'd be meeting up with. Woe to you if you're late!! P.S. <i>Of course, they can't beat the Swiss record of being #1 in all of the above traits.</i>
(5) Whenever you're meeting up with a native from that country, remember to shake hands with him/her lest they think you're arrogant, ya know. Only young people and good friends may substitute hand-shaking with another ritual... <i>oh</i>, you know... air-kisses, hugs et al.
I hope the above list will be of sooome help to you.
<b>'Where I was born and where and how I have lived is unimportant. It is what I have done with where I have been that should be of interest.'</b> - The late modernist painter Georgia O'Keeffe, in an introduction to her work displayed on a newly opened museum dedicated to her art in New Mexico.
More Reviews (15)
- See All
- See All Don't forget to explore the...
- The impressive (and luxurious)...
- No favorite restaurant(s). ...
Krystynn's Related Pages
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels