"This is Nice and sadly, this..." Nice Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Krystynn
Nice Warnings and Dangers: 95 reviews and 76 photos
This is Nice and sadly, this is also a pickpocket haven. So, how do we protect ourselves from this menacing group of folks? Simple. I've come up with a brief list below.
(1) Ladies, be EXTRA careful. <b>Pickpockets are experts in the ancient art of DISTRACTION.</b> They will not hesitate to divert your attention for a few quick seconds and in that short moment, they'd relieve you of ALL your travel valuables! Most times, they'll use little children. <i>It really happens fast.</i> You'd have no idea that it has actually happened and when you do find out, the thieves are long gone.
(2) These pickpockets (<i>most of them gypsies</i>) prey on travelers because they know that you are in a foreign land and thus, not completely confident of your surroundings. You'd be so busy experiencing the sights and sounds around you that you would not be fully aware of what else is going on around you. These pickpockets will definitely prey on you because you look like the perfect victim! <i>So, what's the moral of the story?</i> <b>DON'T LOOK LIKE A TYPICAL TOURIST</b>!
(3) It's really all up to you to outsmart them! <b>Be pickpocket savvy</b>! <i>How, you wonder?</i> Read on below.
(4) For example, <b>gypsy children carrying newspapers or large sheets of cardboard will make a beeline towards you and hold these items in front of your face/ your nose!</b> Believe me, and <i>speaking from experience</i>, this can be very frightening and you'd be momentarily distracted. But do try to keep focused because these defiant little kids are very swift in their act(s)! Before you can even cry 'HELP' your hard-earned holiday cash would be gone!
(5) I heard from my buddies/ colleagues that in Rome, a mother holding an infant (<i>it's actually just a life-size doll</i>) would <b>suddenly shout and then toss her 'tiny, helpless child' to you</b>! Tell me, which self-respecting woman would let a baby just drop?</i> Ah, but YOU would... if you're pickpocket savvy. The Mama scam artist is only trying to distract you whilst Papa scam artist does his dirty deed. <b>And if you do grab that flying 'baby'.... <i>uh-oh</i>, your credit card's gone!</b> So, wisen up and let that 'flying baby' drop to the ground. And no need to feel guilty. 200% of the time, you'd be glad you did!
(6) Another trick these scam artists would do is to get <b>old women wearing long dirty dresses come right up close to you... surrounding you (<i>and make you feel real claustrophobic</i>) and in a very loud wail, they'd beseech you to buy one of the booklets that they're selling. Believe me, you'd definitely move a few steps backwards... insisting you're not interested. And before you know it, little gypsy kids will come out from under those long skirts</b>.... and... well, watch out! You've been pickpocketed. So, DON'T give these old women a chance to get even half a meter near you. Your best bet is to push them away and RUN!
<i>Getting the idea now?</i> I hope these few examples will convince you to keep your valuables close to your skin and in a hidden money belt. Being pickpocketed is never, ever a pleasant experience.
I'm really glad I've learnt to be pickpocket savvy after encountering this bad experience here in Nice.
<b>Photo Below: </b> Beautiful ANTIBES.
More Warnings and Dangers in Nice (1)
More Reviews (34)
- See All Mention CANNES and people...
- See All explore the OLD TOWN - VIEUX...
- See All If you can afford it (and we...
- Packing List
Krystynn's Related Pages
Have you been to Nice?Share Your Travels