Indian Fields Tavern: "Real Virginia cooking" Charles City Restaurant Tip by matcrazy1
Charles City Restaurants: 3 reviews and 3 photos
Nat (b1bob) wanted we to sample real Virginia cooking and that's why he chose just this restaurant for our early lunch. It was right place for delicious southern food.
The restaurant was placed in nice looking 2-store southern style house, mostly hidden by numerous decorative trees and bushes. The interior design was simple but nice and decorated with pictures depicting southern life in the past.
The service was OK. The meals were not that overly large like in many U.S. restaurants but delicious.
The menu was relatively short with exact explanations on each served dish. Their menu change with seasonal availability of fresh ingredients. It includes 2 appetizers, a few salads and sandwiches and four main courses:
1. Jumbo lump crabcakes with Old Bay scallion remoulade sauce ($14.95),
2. Deep fried Chesapeake oysters with Old Bay scallion remoulade sauce ($11.95),
3. Tricolor cheese tortellini in a garlic and chardonnay cream sauce with grilled chicken bread ($8.25)
4. James river chicken Saltimboca - chicken breast served with fresh sage leaves and Smithfield ham, finished with an oyster cream accented with bourboun ($9.95).
Daily 11.00 am - 3.30 pm for lunch
Sun - Thu: 5.00 pm - 9.00 pm for dinner
Fri & Sat: 5.00 pm - 10.00 pm for dinner
Sunday Brunch served 11.00 am - 3.30 pm.
Favorite Dish: Nat and I ordered baked Virginia ham (not mentioned in the menu) with traditional pineapple-raisin sauce served with spoon bread and a medley of zucchini and red peppers.
Urszula had James River Chicken Saltimboca - chicken breast layered with fresh sage leaves and Smithfield ham, finished with an oyster cream accented with Maker's Mark bourbon served with the aforementioned side dishes.
Both dishes tasted delicious. My recommendation. Pictures of the restaurant, the meals and the menu are put in my travelogue Indian Fields Tavern.
Address: 9220 John Tyler Mem. Hwy., Charles City, VA 23030
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: On scenic Route 5 (SR-5) in Charles City, Virginia. Details in my Transportation Tips.
othercontact: Fax: +1 (804) 829-5411
Phone: +1 (804) 829-5004
More Reviews (63)
- See All Suggested Improvements
- See All If you don't have a car...
- A few options
- See All White fence and mailbox
- See All Cats
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Explore the World
- Curry Village Hotels
- Estado de Veracruz-Llave
- Almirante Hotels
- Moose Jaw
- Narragansett Beach
- Catalina Foothills Hotels
- Kanton Basel-Landschaft
- Greenwood Hotels
- Cuautla Morelos Hotels
- Lago di Varese
- Agios Nikolaos
- Tonto National Monument Hotels
Have you been to Charles City?Share Your Travels
Latest Charles City hotel reviews
- Edgewood Plantation
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013