"The southernmost tip of Luzon island" Matnog by lekimumu

Matnog Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 52 photos

Travel journal excerpt: March 23, '08

I love this recent sojourn even though we had our share of headaches because it was a lesson on roadtrips. And well, traveling in general. I thought I knew a lot, but that’s just one of the things I love about globe-trotting—there’s always something unexpected, something new, that’ll test your resilience, and mostly in a good way. I used to say that I’m not picky and I rarely have reservations when I’m traveling except when it comes to bathrooms. I want it to be clean with enough breathing space, no matter how cramped the sleeping area is.

But now, after my experience in Matnog, I have just this one requirement: running water, please. I don’t care if I have to dig a hole somewhere as long as there’s an abundance of wash water whenever I need it. I mean I love the uninhabited white sand beaches near Matnog. And because of that, I could take the villagers’ staring and poking at us. I swear they did! The minute we stepped foot on the village, everybody knew we were outsiders. We were the only tourists in the area, and word had spread far and wide and everywhere we went people would be staring and whispering. At one point while we were inside the pick-up and we had to stop because of a procession, a swarm of these candle-bearing people (part of the procession) and some kids were peering inside the car, sometimes knocking and…well basically we felt what whale sharks probably do with humans constantly ogling them and disturbing their personal space. It was almost surreal, like a scene taken out of the Night of the Living Dead. And we were Pinoys! I dread to see how they’d react to foreigners. Still, I was willing to forgive all that—until something we ate disagreed with our stomachs and most of us were in pain all night. To make a long, gruesome story short, let’s just say that it involved numerous potty breaks for everyone…that, and water shortage. Such was our distress that we had to wake up the grumbling landlady at midnight just so we could all rest and use the bathroom again. All I can say is, I’m just glad that I was traveling with family, otherwise, I don’t think any of us could have withstood the hassle and embarrassment. Haha!

If we ever venture to Matnog again (the beaches are worth it, after all), I’m thinking we should check out Sta. Magdalena first for decent lodgings. Surprisingly enough, I hadn’t done enough research on Sorsogon before we left because I was busy, and the notes I did have, I left in the cab on the way to my cousins’ house. Thank God for Smart Bro wireless (I was skeptical about this tiny device that you just plug in your laptop, but I stand corrected—the connection was pretty fast in Legazpi, Albay), my cousin and I were able to do some last minute surfing online for other stops. At least I know better next time—and there will be a next time! If not this year then the next. I just want to see more whale sharks while they’re still here, who knows what really attracts them to the place. They could easily be vacationing elsewhere.

• Pros:Beautiful, uninhabited white sand beaches
  • Cons:Water source have to be switched on (regulated/tank use) and nosy townspeople
  • In a nutshell:Underrated piece of paradise
  • Last visit to Matnog: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 29, 2008

• lekimumu's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Ah well, the water problem is usually just something we adjust to when we're traveling in the islands. :) It's the diarrhea we weren't prepared for. We thought we had enough water in the pails for the rest of the night.

• gabriellasilang's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2009 at 5:06 PM

you don't have to look and go further to find out the HUGE bathroom problem in the philippines. Check out the city ! how can you expect better bathrooms in the outskirts of town ?

lekimumu

“Just give me SPF, a bikini and a bellyfull of laughs, and I'm good to go!”

Ranked Member