"New York, New York" New York City by Andrew_W_K

New York City Travel Guide: 15,734 reviews and 31,545 photos

Ney York - Just like I pictured it.

In the words of a Stevie Wonder song " Wow, New York - Just like I pictured it, skyscrapers and everything" and that's how it was for me.
As someone who grew up in the UK in the 60s and 70s Britain was a dull, dull place and I remember watching the film North by Northwest and thinking that New York looked like another planet. The people were affluent, the cars enormous, the buildings even bigger and everyone seemed so stylish. That image stayed with me for years and so the first time I went to the Big Apple I was pleasantly surprised to find that the city was just like I imagined it to be.
There's just so much to do. So many familiar streets and buildings to explore. The diners and deli's are fantastic as well. You can get anything and everything there and as for the people..... New Yorkers get a "bad rap" with the world. I expected them to be a bit rude and surley and a bit brash as well but they were none of these things. The people I met were all polite, helpful and only to glad to spend a little time talking with you. From young black guys on the subway asking what I thought about the rap music playing on their iPods to people working in stores and diners and even the odd commuter stopping to advise us on which train we should take. I also spent a really nice 20 minutes talking to a couple of New York cops who let my wife pose for a photo with them. They were honest about how far New York has come since the bad old days of pimps, hookers and drug dealers that made downtown Manhatton a no go for tourists. They said we had Rudi Gulianni to thank for cleaning up the streets.
We skated in central park went to the top of the Empire State and Rockerfeller Centre, walked the Brooklyn Bridge, shopped in Bloomingdales, did the whole Statue of Liberty thing and generally had such a good time we had to come back for more.

Skyscrapers

Lets be honest, every city has its share of skyscrapers these days and I doubt that many of us give them a second glance. That's what is so different about New York. They invented the modern skyscraper and in so doing created some of the most instantly recognisable buildings of the 20th century. The Flat Iron building, the Chrysler building, the Woolworth building, the Rockafella centre and the Empire State building are all worth a visit but I'm sorry, Dan Cruikshank, in your Around the World in 80 Treasures program you got the skyscraper wrong - the GE building may have started a style back in the 50's but its a boring office block today.

Washington Square Arch

It rarely gets a mention but the Washington Square Arch is a terrific structure. While not as grand as the famous Parisian or London arches it is worth taking a trip to the West Village to admire this monument. At one point it was sadly neglected with traffic running underneath it and drug dealers plying their trade around it. Now after a multi million dollar restoration program the arch sits in a traffic free zone where buskers play and people come to sit and reflect.

• Last visit to New York City: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2008

Travelogues (1)

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Andrew, I just now noticed your comment on my Boston page. I'm glad you enjoyed reading my tips. I hadn't looked at them in a while and can see why you might think I'm little crazy.... Now I'm going to check out your NYC page. It's my home town!

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2010 at 7:27 AM

Maybe you could break your latest misc. post into another 4 or 5 questions about illness? It makes greaaaat reading - NOT!

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Enjoyed your detailed pages here Andrew, good insight

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Andrew, thanx for your advice.... ... Great page, my friend!

• henry14's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2009 at 12:38 PM

ah, perhaps I'll give the Cable Car a swerve after all!

• Jul 14, 2009 at 3:00 AM

thought i knew most of the good things to do in nyc but not this one...will definately try it on my next visit....have you done the ferry to rockaway. + with bikes its even better....must go write my ny page when i have time. i've got some real winners.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 6:10 AM

Nice NYC page! I've corrected the wrong address. Thank you

• Mar 24, 2009 at 10:59 AM

My first time to hear about the cable car.It would be fun to do it once, i think.Your subway experience is very frightening.I think i'd just freeze or collapse, whichever comes first.Thanks for the great tips.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Planning is important, thanks, good tips Andrew.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Nice photos and good tips - hope I can get here sometime in the near future! Gillybob greetings

Andrew_W_K

“Enjoy this trip and it is a trip. Countdown is progressing. Uno, Dos, Uno, Dos, Trez, Quatro”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City