"Kotor" Kotor by Andrew_W_K
Kotor Travel Guide: 552 reviews and 1,288 photos
Kotor sits at the end of southern Europe's only Fjoord. It is a wonderful walled town similar to many along the Adriatic. Kotor still retains bags of charm though unlike many more of it's illustrious neighbours.
Yes some of the buildings could do with a bit of restoration and it really does stink here due to bad plumbing or drains but all that is part of the charm of the place.
Kotor claims never to have been taken by force but they don't count giving in to the Venetians. There are reminders of Venice everywhere in the architecture.
I rate Kotor as one of the best places I've visited.
The Catholic cathedral in Kotor is one of the oldest cathedrals in Montenegro and it dates from the 12th century although much rebuilt following an earthquake in the 16th century. The cathedral was damaged further by another earthquake in 1979 but happily it has been restored to its full former glory. It is a fine building in a wonderful location.
The outer walls that encircle Kotor are staggering. They seem to climb vertically up the mountain that sits behind the town and are up to 16m thick and 20m high in some places. The stretch for 4 and a half kilometers but I wouldn't recommend walking them in the heat of the day unless you are feeling fit.
Andrew_W_K's Related Pages
Kotor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kotor and Europe's Deepest Fjord"
- "K O T O R"
- "Kotor Rebuilt"
- "The jewel of Montenegro"
- "WELCOME TO KOTOR!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kotor
- Hotels in Kotor
- Transportation in Kotor
- Nightlife in Kotor
- Restaurants in Kotor
- Shopping in Kotor
- Warnings and Dangers in Kotor
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kotor
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Kotor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kotor
Top 10 Pages
- Bridgnorth Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shropshire Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poitiers Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos
- New York City Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Chester Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos