"Tallinn" Tallinn by Andrew_W_K

Tallinn Travel Guide: 1,786 reviews and 4,813 photos

A grand day out

I visited Tallinn as a day trip when I was staying in Helsinki. As a day trip I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure I would choose Tallinn for a break as the old city is very compact and I don't think I'd find enough to keep me interested for 3 or 4 days.
Having said that it is a very picturesque old city and as mentioned earlier a great place for a day out.

Under the influence

Tallinn has been subjected to different rulers over the centuries and they have all left their mark on the city. None more so than the Russians. The Aleksandr Nevsky cathedral is testamont to that and one of the more impressive buildings the Russians left behind.

Old and new

Everywhere you look in Tallinn there are signs of heavy investment and new building projects. Estonia has invested a lot into information technology and are fast gaining a reputation as world leaders in that field. The new city can be seen from the old one, all gleaming glass and steel while the old city itself has undergone a comprehensive makeover in recent years.
Anyway nothing sums up this contrast better than the photo of one of the most expensive and technically advanced cars in the world parked on the cobbles of the old city.

• Last visit to Tallinn: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Feb 21, 2011

Comments

Andrew_W_K

“Enjoy this trip and it is a trip. Countdown is progressing. Uno, Dos, Uno, Dos, Trez, Quatro”

Badges & Stats in Tallinn

Have you been to Tallinn?

Latest Activity in Tallinn